Friday, December 16, 2011

Puppy Love?

(previously posted on November 16, 2011)


I usually watch Indica while she's outside because she's been known to be less than polite to passersbye. I've disposed of one too many a cat to not be on alert while she's past the boundaries of the house walls. I've spent many a winter's day standing in the back doorway in my robe and slippers with snow in my face, cursing the cold and wishing I weren't so responsible. 

Since Darwin died (next month, it will be 2 years ago) she hasn't been nearly as intent on her distruction of other life forms. Maybe because she doesn't have back up. They were always kind of like a tag-team, with Darwin being the "dur-ta-dur" follower. He was never naturally aggressive, he just did what his girlfriend showed him. Unfortunately, Indica was bred and taught to be a fighting dog. (In case you're wondering, NOT by me.) She was encouraged to seek and kill things. Once you get that into a dog like her, it's REALLY hard to reverse it. I learned this the hard way when I was young, ill-informed, and unfamiliar with her strength and temperment. I hold firm in my belief that we're both lucky that she's snuggled up on my couch right now instead of where her fate would have otherwise led her... to a fighting pit, and most likely dead by now. 

Because of her, I learned more about dogs AND people than I probably ever wanted to learn. I know I'm a better person now for it and it's something that will NEVER be reversed. 

Back to the point: I've trained myself that if I'm momentarily distracted from directly watching her while outside, to listen for barks, growls, and other random "flags." Today she was outside when I turned around to pick something up in the kitchen. 

There aren't alleys in my neighborhood, we leave our trash out front for the people to pick up. There is only a chain-link fence and some now wilting grape-vines separating my house from the one behind me. There's a German Shepherd who keeps showing up back there... I don't know if the people own this dog or if that's just where he likes to hang out. The other day I saw them spot each other and I waddled out in my flip-flops to redirect them both. I gave Indica a slippered nudge accompanied by the standard, "Back off the fence," and waved to the Shepherd and said, "Ok, go on." He put his head down and sulked away. 

Today, while briefly distracted, I heard no barks or growls. I looked outside to see them both at the back fence, face to face. To my surprise, she showed every indication that she wanted to play with him. Not eat him - PLAY. There were absolutely NO signs of aggression. She was smiling and doing the "play-bow" and wagging her tail. I watched this go on for several minutes and finally called my mother. "You're not gonna belive this..."

Since Darwin died I've often contemplated whether or not Indica was lonely or if she was happier having a complete run of the house. All the attention, all the treats, all the belly-rubs, and getting to hog the entire couch. I eventually assumed she was happier with the latter and figured she might be stressed with the incorporation of a new dog into our tiny house. As some of you know, she's been VERY sick lately and I'm trying to keep her as comfortable as possible during her last days... but today my whole view-point shifted.

In her vain attempt to play through the fence, I saw her friskier than she's been in ages. Really, since Darwin died. She IS lonely and I honestly belive now that she DOES want a new boyfriend.

While talking with mother I decided to call out to Hope Rd. Vet clinic and see if they had any male pits who needed a new home. I know the dogs out there are well socialized and non-aggressive, and that the vet staff does as much as they can for as long as they can but that they can't feed them all forever.

They have a black and white pit mix named Amigo who's up for adoption and who needs a special home because he's shy; he was badly abused. They said he needs to be an inside dog, which he would be. I haven't really ever worked with a shy dog, but now's as good a time as ever. He's super mellow, which is a bonus because Indica's so old. I don't think she'd appreciate puppy energy hopping all over her. He's also bigger than she is, which should keep any potential bullying to a minimum. (Whether we like it or not, she's gonna be the dominant one in this equation.) At this point in time, I'm pretty much home all day, so now would be the opportune moment to be able to supervise the new adjustment.

So much about this feels SO right, but then again, I know that once I put my heart into something I'm usually disappointend. I'll be taking Indica out there today to see if Amigo is indeed intended to be her new boyfriend. SHE's the one who gets to make the decision - not me. If it works out, YAY! If not, we'll keep looking.

If having another four-legged companion is what my mama dog needs to keep a spark in her through her last days, that's what I'll do. Right now, having another mouth to feed isn't really the optimum ideal but if it brings us BOTH some happy, I don't really see how it could be wrong.

1 comment: