Sunday, September 29, 2013

I'm All Ears

I got a message recently about going to see some pit bull puppies. Because of the content of said message, I knew this wasn't going to be a happy visit. I knew I would be angry and eventually cry. Both of those emotions stood true.

When you Google “dog ear cropping,” very shortly down the list of suggestions is “dog ear cropping at home.” My stomach began to turn at even the question being so popular. The first result is a site which answers thusly: "For the sake of your dog do NOT cut its ears at home." 


I'd copy the entire article but that's pretty much all you need to know. Even when it's done “correctly” I still get emotional about the subject because it just isn't necessary. It's cosmetic - period. Here's an example of a beautiful dog who's probably papered and clearly had his surgery (and it's a serious surgery) done by a veterinarian somewhere between 6 and 12 weeks of age:



A friend of mine sent me that picture on Facebook thinking I'd probably comment with a smiley emoticon. Instead, I replied with outrage because they didn't NEED to do it. To me, it doesn't make the dog look any more handsome than he would have been naturally.


It's illegal in many countries and most states to crop a dog's ears yourself. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is opposed to ear cropping for cosmetic purposes, and encourages the elimination of ear cropping and tail docking from breed standards.


From the Textbook of Small Animal Surgery: “The veterinary procedure is known as cosmetic otoplasty. Current veterinary science provides no medical, physical, environmental or cosmetic advantage to the animal from the procedure, leading to concerns over animal cruelty related to performing unnecessary surgery on the animals. In addition to the bans in place in countries around the world, it is described in some veterinary texts as "no longer considered ethical."


If you've ever had your ears pierced, you know the pain associated with a tiny hole that you chose to put there. Sometimes months of redness, swelling, hotness, and possible infection. Now imagine having half your ear cut OFF while you're under NO anesthesia. If you're lucky, it might be with a really sharp butcher knife. If you're not lucky, it's probably done with some rusty scissors or maybe garden shears.


When it's done by a vet (and some vets won't do the procedure at all) the puppy is anesthetized so that the puppy will stay still, he doesn't feel the pain of being cut, they can somewhat control the bleeding, both ears look the same, the scarring is controlled, and the risk of infection is minimized. After the surgery, the ears are stitched or glued, put in splints (or taped) to train the ears to stand erect until the cartilage hardens with age, and bandaged to reduce the risk of infection and bleeding. The puppy will also receive antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication. There needs to be a follow up visit to monitor the injuries for infection, scarring, and potential injuries and irritation from the splints or tape.


But if you're a backyard breeder with no heart or compassion who only cares about how many dollars you can make off the dog, THIS happens:




This sweet little girl was found with nine of her siblings, ALL in this condition. (With the exception of another female on the property, found dead and rotting in a trash can.) The puppies are at least 4 months old (probably closer to 6 - they're HUGE) and this was done recently.

WHYYY!?!?!?


You can't tell me this isn't cruel. Well, physically I suppose you can, but I'll never think it isn't. Those babies were so squiggly and excited to see anyone come to show them any affection, I picked her up to have this picture taken. She immediately froze. I could tell she'd never been picked up before... she'd never been held or loved. And THAT IS CRUEL.

They were all incredibly sweet and although physically fed, they were emotionally starved. I got into the kennel with them so that they would know what love was, even if only for a few minutes. As much as I wanted to cry, I made sure to hold it back until I left. I didn't want them to think I was sad. I wanted them to know that I was happy to see them and grateful for their kisses.


They were initially awkward and unsure of themselves. They inspected me for quite some time before they figured out I was happy to let them crawl on me. Once they knew it was cool, it got at little rowdy though. I lost my glasses and my hat at one point but I don't remember any other time I was so pleased to do so.


I want to know why the person who did this to these beautiful babies isn't in jail. I've been doing research since I came home and can't find a specific law in Texas that makes this kind of mutilation illegal. I think the best shot they have is a general one.

In Texas, two types of laws protect animals from cruelty: civil laws and criminal laws. The laws are similar but differ in the penalties they impose.

In a civil case, if a judge rules that a person or people have been cruel to animals, the judge may take away their animals and/or order them to pay restitution.

If prosecuted in a criminal case, a person may face penalties including fines, jail or both. Those under the age of 18 are also required to undergo counseling if convicted of animal cruelty.

Section 42.09 "Cruelty to Livestock Animals" and 42.09(2) "Cruelty of Non-Livestock Animals" of the Texas Health and Safety Code prohibits a person from intentionally, knowingly or recklessly cruelly treating an animal. The following actions define cruel punishment:
  1. Torturing an animal
  2. Failing to provide food, care or shelter
  3. Abandoning an animal
  4. Transporting or confining an animal in a cruel manner
  5. Killing, seriously injuring or poisoning an animal
  6. Causing an animal to fight with another
  7. Using a live animal as a lure in a dog race
  8. Tripping a horse
  9. Injuring an animal belonging to another person
  10. Seriously overworking an animal.

By seriously and intentionally injuring these animals, I believe that to be torture. Granted, it's not the same barbaric torture many animals endure, but it's torture nonetheless.

It isn't ignored everywhere... just here: ""This man's practice of cropping the dogs' ears without a license and this covered about a five state area, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, even Florida," said Rogers County Sheriff Scott Walton."  http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/a-man-is-arrested-for-allegedly-performing-illegal-operations-on-dogs








If you'd like to know more about me and what I do, click either link below:
http://www.sheawhitedogtraining.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment